Friday, July 26, 2013

Flex plans








I have lots of training in project management which involves and skills around organizing, planning and controlling (really good at that one!). So this means when my day starts, or even the night before a somewhat detailed plan emerges in my head – many times I actually create a written document of the planned events…

And then when the day comes I move to the execution phase. That means I go to the first task or event and do it, then to step 2. I do not like getting diverted from my plan, even minor changes irritate me. I like the notion of executing the plan as written and checking off each task when completed.


Some time ago I began to realize that this may not be such a great thing for living a spiritually driven life; simply put it does not allow any space for God to insert whatever He has in mind for me an others. So as I began to understand this,  the transition began. I would be executing my  plan for the day and then God “interrupts” me with a call from someone in the program, or a request from my wife to do something important for her, or my kids who really need to talk to me now, or someone at a meeting who is hurting and could use a listening ear, or a delayed flight, traffic jam, slow lines at the store, and son and so on…

With these comes frustration; doesn’t God realize I had a plan and I want to execute it as written? So there is the tension. Yes,  God knows I have a plan and at times He does want me to modify it. I’m slightly beginning to understand that these changes are not only for the good of others but also for me.  When I adjust without resentment (well maybe even with a little)  I learn patience, humility, selflessness, caring and flexibility. When I follow the “revised” plan I’m actually aligning my will with the will of God which is a really good thing for me and those around me.

I’m really confident that God is okay with me creating plans the best I can. He just wants to be the project director who has the responsibility and care of suggesting adjustments to the plans of His people. 

The Rick H. construction project continues……

How are you with adjusting plans when the spirit asks you to do so?

3 comments:

  1. I am very much like you in so far as planning my day. Today is Saturday and I have a plan for the day right up until bedtime, (and I have a target bed time).

    Still very much learning to go with the flow as God sees it.

    As I write this, it occurs to me that I need to become much more humble. The good news is that I am much more flexible than I was when I entered the program :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Rick, it's a work in progress. Like you and Jeff, I always have a plan. The problem is, as you said, it's MY plan. I have, in my recovery become exceedingly more flexible than ever before in my life. With that being said, I still struggle with recognizing what the Holy Spirit is asking me to do at times, but I'm working on it and will continue to grow (I hope) for the rest of my days here!! Still way too much pride and ego in most of my planning. Would that make God our general Superintendent?? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manager, director, superintendent sometimes i don't know who's running what!

    ReplyDelete