Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Our personal zoo-a venue of peace and serentity


 

 


This morning I woke up and went outside to my deck to have my cup of coffee. It is a beautiful morning. A little mist, but just warm enough to go out in my shorts and tee shirt. No wind, very quiet.



Many years ago I bought a large bird feeder and a bird bath. It took some time but the birds have really made it their home. Along with the beautiful bushes and landscaping my wife has put in, it has become a sanctuary for the birds- as well as a few rabbits. They can hide in the bushes-take a look at things from high above in the trees-eat some food- go for a short trip to get some water to drink.....

Many type of birds are in our zoo- Doves, sparrows, small woodpeckers, robins, cardinals (male and female pairs-they are really skittish ) redheaded blackbirds, and an occasional tiny yellow bird- (not sure of the name), This spring a Robin built a nest on a low branch and had 3 babies-My wife and I watched them grow up, with the mother on constant duty to feed the hungry mouths. We would marvel at this daily till one day they were gone- happy and healthy- baby's raised in our personal zoo.

The singing and chirping is terrific. I wake up to this music each morning- glad the summer is here and the birds are singing once again. I also need to report that on occasion a little skirmish breaks out between a few of them and they fly off squabbling and irritated with each other -but they come back in a bit with their differences resolved.-

Oh, and I don't want to forget about the rabbit family who lives here also.

Anyway, I stayed out there for a long time this morning in a state of peaceful meditation. I thought about a section of the book I wrote where I said beleive what all addicts are searching for is some peace and serentity in their souls. Where they can just sit and relax and be calm and not want to go anywhere or do anything for a little while. This was confirmed, for at least this alcoholic, this morning.

At this moment,. I am wholly peaceful, serene, grateful, full of hope and joy- well see what the rest of the day brings!


4 comments:

  1. I know that's what I'm looking for! This place you're describing sounds perfect, but you forgot to include directions--lol. Have a wonderful, safe 4th of July everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve- Continue to follow the path you- will find it with increasing frequency. Have a happy 4th!. Rick H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I could come up with a place. Wow, actually taking the time and feeling it would be OK to do so is another whole thing!

    Something to aspire to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a really nice moment in time...wish i had a lot more of those! Thanks Jeffery

    ReplyDelete