Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Perfection?, Excellence?, Extraordinary?









Funny  how God reveals things to you to confirm “whispers” that you may get. 

When I was writing my book “Under Construction…..,” I had written a chapter called “Walk before you run,”sub-titled “seek progress, not perfection.” My original sub-title was written as “seek progress, toward excellence”.  

I struggled with the sub title, feeling like the “seek progress, toward excellence” was what I really meant to say- but knowing many people would be more aware of the slogan “seek progress, not perfection”. So I fought off  spiritual instincts and changed it to the phrase people would be most familiar with. 

Last month I heard a sermon that basically said that seeking perfection was not a good thing for us to do. The pastor's  point was, in essence, the same as my original one- we can achieve excellence in the things we do- but never perfection.

Then yesterday, a friend of mine came up to me and said, “In my life I am trying to be extraordinary in all that I do. Not perfect, but extraordinary”. I like that- Excellence, extraordinary- and I'm not worried about ego or arrogance- I can seek these things without being prideful about it- understanding that God is helping me get there. Perfect would be a prideful thought. 

Oh well... I did follow other instincts in my book that I now feel really good about. So it goes…. I remain under construction- making some mistakes, learning from them, getting more confident in following “God whispers”, somewhat less worried about people pleasing… yes, I’m making progress striving for excellence. 

Your thoughts on this topic?


4 comments:

  1. I guess it depends on your definition of excellence Rick. I think, at the beginning of my journey, the slogan would have stated Seek Progress...Period. While perfection is obviously unattainable, excellence would also have seemed out of my reach. Today, "I'm making progress striving for excellence" is perfect and seems completely within my grasp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what Steve said. I am striving to excellence now. Particularly at work and regarding family matters. There are some other areas of my life that could use the goal of excellence rather than just good.

    Like Steve though, in the beginning, it was just progress!

    I am grateful that the program helps us strive to grow. I think it would be boring to just stay the same, and I certainly do not want to go backwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put Jeff--boring can be very dangerous for a recovering addict & backwards just isn't an option anymore as far as I'm concerned!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks guys. I like the idea of doing things in an excellent manner- like good quality work- good quality shopping, good hosue projects good...everything- requires planning, attention to detail, focus, practice, discipline, courage, humility......excellence-I like that....

    I guess i think about it cause when i was drinking i was so sloppy- I just did poor quality things- low esteem things-

    Now I like to strive for quality and excellence- It feels great-

    ReplyDelete