Thursday, February 27, 2014

Reflections on the Road to Recovery from alcoholism - Our will/God's will

     


Reflections..................................... on the road to recovery

                                   
                                           Our Will/God's Will

When I'm doing my own will (knowingly not doing God's will)............................
...or another statement of the same.... When I'm running the show of my life....

I just don't feel right... Somehow disconnected...  things just don't seem to go smoothly... I'm irritated easily... less confident... less peaceful... more full of myself... less likely to do service for others... people tend to shy away from me... I see difficult situations as major problems - and I start attacking them with only my best thinking to guide me... I don't want to be around others - or even myself. My addictive personality starts beckoning me to escape through some form of addictive behavior.

When I believe I'm doing God's will during the day or regarding a particular situation........

Things seem to go smoother.. I'm less irritable... more peaceful...less full of myself... more likely to help others... people call me more... I see difficult situations as challenges...areas where I can learn more about myself and God - I better trust that, with God's direction and my cooperation, these trying situations will work out for the best... overall I like myself more... my addictive tendencies are feel distant, for the time being, dormant....   


Have you experienced this?

If so, why do you think it's such a ongoing battle to submit to God's will?

What kinds of things are you  knowingly thinking or doing that you know are not God's will?

What are you knowingly thinking or doing that you know are not God's will?

What actions could you take today to better align with God's will for you?

2 comments:

  1. To be honest, and I'm not proud of it, until 2 years ago I was unable to submit to God's will at all. This is still very difficult for me to do at times--my selfish, addictive attitudes and behaviors still show themselves too often. I tend to be much more patient with people in recovery as opposed to others. That "chip" on my shoulder can cause me to verbally attack, instead of just walking away and saying a quick prayer. I'm pretty sure this is directly related to my fear of what others think of me and my past, but I do recognize this when I do a 10th step and try to correct it. Actions--keep helping others, keep praying and keep reading the Bible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much for sharing Steve!

    ReplyDelete