Monday, June 2, 2014

Reflections on the Road to Recovery from Alcoholism- counting days?

Reflections....
.......on the road to Recovery

                                                Counting days... AND... Making days count

I recently heard the statement:  You shouldn't count days (of sobriety), but instead make the days count. I've heard a lot of opinions on this  topic of time vs. quality in AA and other addiction recovery programs.

My attitude is: Both are important.



Counting days

Yes, I'm feeling good, grateful and sort of amazed about being sober 8,118 days - all in a row! Continuous sobriety through total abstinence for all those days is not part of my nature. Doing something good for myself, refusing to choose immediate gratification over the pain and growth that living life sober brings... all very difficult for me. 

In one sense, growing in recovery basically entailed me doing things I didn't want to do and not doing things I wanted to do.  My nature is to do whatever I want to whenever I feel like it.
 
Making days count

Here's the bottom line on this one: I can be sober and be miserable, selfish, fearful, egotistical, unhappy unfulfilled, lacking in gratitude, etc., etc.

That's not fun for me or anyone I come in contact with.

One definition of sobriety is "soundness of mind." That's how I can make days count.

Be sound of mind - On a daily basis, working the 12 Steps and the full AA program of recovery, helping others, seeking my Higher Power's (God's) guidance and direction, being aware of the incredible amount of things to be grateful for, pursuing balance in work, family, and having fun.

That's it - that's my view.

Yours?

2 comments:

  1. I am NOT a big milestone guy, but every so often when I stop and realize how many consecutive days of sobriety that I do have...I must say it does feel good. But, honestly I am much much more concerned about the quality of my sobriety. Because I know in my sick, twisted mind that if I were constantly, miserable in sobriety I would just figure I might as well get high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on this Steve. Thx Rick

    ReplyDelete