Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Recovery from alcoholism- Bless them, change me!








The other day I was talking with someone about an issue they were having with a relative. The essence of their story was that they needed to take a stand and let the person know their behavior was not acceptable and that they weren’t going to be a “doormat” for them any longer. I have heard people talk about similar issues many times.  In talking to my sponsor about it  he suggested that this issue is tied into self-esteem. The ability to stand up for ourselves thereby building our self-confidence and sense of well-being-  reducing resentments toward ourselves and others when we refuse to do things that aren’t good for us- as a result of  people pleasing, and other enabling type defects.  

The person went on to say once she had taken this stance with her relative, she then needed to let the situation go and resume life including an ongoing relationship with the person she had confronted. That’s when she came up with a new tool for me to use:  It was a prayer that went “Bless them, change me”.

That’s a good one to remember!



1 comment:

  1. This is a good "golden rule", but if I'm not careful, I can take this too far. In my case, I need make sure that my motives are pure. There have been cases when I've, let's say, taken a stand when it would have been much easier to use the acceptance prayer

    ReplyDelete