Sunday, August 3, 2014

Reflections on the Road to Recovery from Alcoholism- "Other Focused"

Reflections...
....on the Road to Recovery

                                                     "Other Focused"

 Self-focused

How can I get what I want now? What's in it for me?

What can I do to make me happy? How will that affect me?

I have too many things to do to help them.

I can say whatever I want to whomever I want to say it.

Why should I volunteer?  There are many others who are available.


Other-focused

What can I do for you today? How is your day going?

Can I help? Who can I call today that is hurting?

What can I give away today to help someone else: time, possessions, a listening ear, a call to say hello, a ride, some service work?


Maybe...

my Higher Power, God, is caring for me,  at least partly,  so I can be of service to others.

not everything that happens to me is about me.

selfishly doing whatever I want is not the answer to making me feel good.

the feeling that I get when I am unselfish is the touch of God.

working on building good relationships is one of the top priorities in life


1 comment:

  1. I really like the other focused questions. And I do try my best to help others, but there's always something more you can do to take the focus off yourself. It comes back to that selfish/unselfish questions as always. Where's the line? Are you focusing so much on others that you avoid dealing with your own issues? I only say this because I recently struggled with this problem. It took a dear friend, not in the program, to open my eyes and I'm so grateful to him because I was walking a slippery slope and I paid for it emotionally.

    ReplyDelete