Friday, July 25, 2014

Reflections on the Road to Recovery from Alcoholism - "Fast Forgetters"

Reflections....
....on the Road to Recovery

                                                       " Fast Forgetters"

I have attended AA meetings for over 24 years.  I'm guessing I have averaged four meetings a week during that time. I just did the math - that equals 35,040 meetings.

I'm also guessing that I have read/ heard the majority of slogans, principles, suggestions, key points of the Big Book, etc.

So one theory would have it that I have heard it all and all I need to do is implement these things on a daily basis. In other words, why would I continue to need to hear the same things over and over?






The reason:  I am a fast forgetter. 


I don't believe it's so much any more about learning new principles, etc. (although I will continue to add these things to my program).

It's more about being reminded of what I have already heard and been taught.

A few examples: Go to meetings regularly to help the "ism" of alcoholism. Keep my spiritual connection strong by communicating with my Higher Power, God, on a continual basis. Get out of myself by giving back to the program - especially helping others.

Those are just a few examples. Many times at meetings I hear something and think to myself "Oh. yeah, I forgot about that." There is no doubt in my mind that this is the still, small voice of God in action.

And as I hear often from others,  I won't be reminded of the things I need to remember, unless I attend meetings to hear them.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Fast forgetter, slow learner, obstinate...all of these describe me at times. I agree Rick, the repetition of AA's principles in my meetings are what keep me bulding up my recovery muscles. I see it all the time, in myself, it can be easy to forget to do the little things that have gotten you to this point in your recovery. for me--very, very dangerous. I can very easily, in the blink of an eye, regress mentally and emotionally into my old way of kdealing. But, the amazing difference now and you mentioned it in an earlier blog, is that now I recognize when this is happening. That and I have an extensive set of resources to draw on when this happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow all your thoughts Steve. Thanks

    ReplyDelete