Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Reflections on the Road to Recovery from Alcoholism- "Who have thoroughly followed our path"

Reflections...
...on the Road to Recovery
                                ...."Who have thoroughly followed our path"

The opening sentence of "How it Works" from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous states, "Rarely have we seen a person who has thoroughly followed our path."

My understanding is that, in the original manuscript, the sentence stated "Never have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

My thoughts lately on this sentence involve the phrase "followed our path."

My question: followed what path?

My belief is the path they are referring to involves the full program of Alcoholics Anonymous that has evolved for over 75 years.

I have been talking about this theme in the meetings I attend often as it becomes clearer and clearer to me that....We are going to stay sober (sober defined as abstinence from alcohol and soundness of mind)  if we put in the necessary work. In many places in the Big Book and the Bible there are wonderful promises of  good things for us.  Many of these end in clauses like "if we work for them"... "who have thoroughly followed our path," "I will blanket My protection over all who trust in me" (Psalm 5:11).

So in each of these, in order to get the promise, we are asked to do something...

Here are some of the simple (I didn't say easy!) things I was taught to do in order to receive the full benefits of the AA program:

1. Go to meetings regularly
2. Get a sponsor
3. Read the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
4. Find a Higher Power and build a personal relationship with that Power
5. Ask your God for help each morning and thank Him at night
6. Work the 12 steps (all of them!)
7. Engage in fellowship (e.g., socialize before and after the meetings)
8. Help others new to the program
9. Help others members who are hurting in the program
10. Volunteer for service work (e.g., set-up,  chair and speak at meetings)

These are some of the areas I will be addressing in detail in my upcoming book AA Bootcamp.

I would be interested in any other things you would add to the definition of "thoroughly followed our path."



3 comments:

  1. Rick: That is an awfully good list!

    Meditation or some form of quiet time crossed my mind, but those things are not simple. I am trying to do more to take care of my body these days, but I don't think that belongs on your list either.

    I guess I like the list the way it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, I agree. What you are describing is what I think of as another component of my health and sanity. Following your thoughts for me those items include- quiet times and meditation, eating right, getting enough sleep, working out, not too much caffeine, having some fun,,,,,

    All of these things on the lists we are talking about are good things-make our lives better- and for those around us! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I'm glad the book changed from never to rarely because that "never" would have put alot of pressure on me when I was fresh in the program. Of all the items mentioned on this list(very complete), it's number 4 that jumps out at me as an absolute essential. My relationship with God is the foundation for my program/life. Every day I must continue to improve my connection with my higher power which is Jesus Christ. Without this, I cannot do anything else on that list!

    ReplyDelete