Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Reflections on the Road to Recovery from Alcoholism- Coincidences?

Reflections...
...on the Road to Recovery

                                                        God Coincidences

God Coincidences

As I have gone through recovery discovery, the fullness of a Higher Power has been a major cornerstone of my life. It's not just about defining the nature of my Higher Power (God); it's about getting to know Him on a personal level. I know that may sound strange to some... i.e., "What do you mean a personal relationship with something you can't feel, see or touch?" 

Yep, it’s not a human concept; it’s a spiritual one. Can't analyze it; just need to experience it.

It's hard for me to have faith in something that is not tangible. However, God knows me personally and knows that, like the disciple Thomas, I need real evidence of His existence.

So He has given me proof of His love and care over and over again in the last 24 years, especially the times when I needed it most.

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous speaks about a 4th dimension where we experience a spiritual awakening that allows us to view the world with spiritual insight. This idea has allowed me to change my beliefs from the idea of luck and coincidence to one of faith, humility, and the power of God.  

But I still haven't gotten to the specific message of this article, which is about specific, identifiable events that happen in my life, sometimes, but not always, on a daily basis... which I know deep in my heart are evidence of God helping me and more importantly continually demonstrating to me that He exists.

It goes back to the beginning of my sobriety...

 

On my first day back from the treatment center I was at home watching my kids and the thought of having a drink came over me... I pondered that possibly drinking could help me relax and take better care of the kids (alcoholic insanity!). In some simple way, I asked for help from a God that I did not know yet... Seconds later the doorbell rang and it was my sponsor who had been in the neighborhood and just stopped by to see how I was doing. The thought of a drink left me. Coincidence? I think not.

Several years later I was driving in my car, distraught and depressed. I asked God (whom I know knew much  better) to help. I remember that the radio was on, but given my state of mind I wasn't paying attention to it.  However, in a spiritually-guided moment, my attention turned to the song... It was James Taylor singing "You've got a Friend". 

Check out the opening lyrics:

When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand
and nothing, nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there
to brighten up even your darkest nights.
You just call out my name, and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you have to do is call and I'll be there, you've got a friend.

If the sky above you should turn dark and full of clouds
and that old north wind should begin to blow,
keep your head together and call my name out loud.
Soon I will be knocking upon your door.
You just call out my name, and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again....

Coincidence?  I think not.

I was taught early on that, when I experience these spiritual events, I should share them with others. I was assured that if I did at least two good two things would happen:

1. I would become aware of more of them (I believe they are happening for me each day- it's just thatI have to be "tuned in,"  i.e., 4th dimension)
2. Others would start recognizing and talking about these same experiences.
Both of these have happened time and time again.

Have any "God stories" you would like to share? 

Rick H- Roselle, IL

No comments:

Post a Comment