Thursday, February 12, 2015

Recovery from Alcoholism-Faith and fear...together?

Reflections....
....on the Road to Recovery
Faith and fear... together?

I've heard this so many times, have you?

Fear can't live in the same house as faith... fear knocked at the door and faith answered... you can have fear or faith, not both.

I strongly disagree with all of these sayings. I absolutely believe you can be fearful and, at the same time, have strong faith. It happens to me all the time. I'm fearful of doing something, going somewhere, of the unknown future, of circumstances out of my control...

But I have faith... faith that if I ask my God for help, He will be along side me as I face the fear... to help and guide me; to walk right beside me as I face the challenge. I can think of Him as I go forward, of how He has protected me so many times in the past...

I once had to address the board of directors of a major company and I was extremely anxious... yes fearful...  It was a career-impacting presentation. I was told by my sponsor to bring God right in the room with me. When I entered the room, all seats were taken except the one I was to sit in... and one empty chair directly across from me. I asked God to sit in the chair and help me. I immediately felt some peace and relaxed a bit. During the presentation. I would glance over at that chair for a moment of calm... and I got it.

Presentation went well. I was told that I seemed very calm and professional.

Thanks,God, for being with me when I am fearful.

What do you believe about this issue of faith and fear? What has your experience shown you?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Rick. I'm human...fear enters my life quite often. However, it's at that time when my faith in God and His grace carries me through. I think God expects us to encounter fears because those who are saved will turn to the Lord and what better way to honor God. So, I believe fear and faith are both present in my life...just not simultaneously. Once I turn it over to God, only my faith remains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that insight Steve. Rick

    ReplyDelete