Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Reflections on the road to Recovery from alcoholism- A day at a time





             Reflections.................................................on the Road to recovery

                                                           A day at a time


Many years ago a few of my friends and I began a spiritual retreat where we go off for a weekend (in spring and fall) to focus on spirituality. The retreat has grown in size from about 10 to now 40 attendee's. It has evolved and transformed over the years and many now consider it an integral part of their program of recovery and growth. An interesting note is that a few attendee's are not in recovery from addiction- They attend with the stated intention of growing their spirituality...and they claim this retreat is a major avenue for that growth.

We have themes for each retreat... Past themes included:

Living the 12th step
Focus on the positive
Finding Peace and Serenity
Two paths to follow-pick 1
Knowing Gods will
Under Construction
Embracing change

We  are very excited about our upcoming April 2014 retreat. The theme will be titled:



"A day at a time"

The retreat themes come about by a few of us talking about what is happening in our lives at the present time, hashing those thoughts around and then almost without exception someone will say, "Hey that would be a good theme for a retreat".  And so it was with this retreat.

In recent months the fellowship in our area has suffered a lot of loss of "old timers" who died sober..and we also have been told of the onset of serious illnesses that are just part of life itself.

All of these events have caused me to think and talk about the incredibly short time we have on earth to do whatever it is we are going to do. From this thought I believe God has hit me with the following "promptings" (through prayer and meditation).

Examples

When you go grocery shopping enjoy every moment- ask the clerks how their day is going- put a shopping cart back in its place

When you feel the breeze of the ocean and the sound of the waves (on a warm vacation) don't move- just let it wash over you.

When you eat your dinner..... eat slowly and enjoy every bite- savor it.

Write two things down on paper you are grateful for every day (my wife and I do this together each morning.)

When talking with your friends appreciate who they are and what they have to say (instead of thinking about how you will respond with your views on the topic)

There are more thoughts like this coming every day but the theme is the same- enjoy the magic of  moments, don't take even the little gifts we get each day for granted, be kind to others ..you may not get another opportunity to do so with them...

So here are a few questions for you:

  • How well are you doing in living in the now?
  • Do you spend too much time on past failures and mistakes?
  • Too much time on potential future problems and concerns?
  • Are you conscious every day of  your blessings..... even the small ones?
  • Are you "tuned in" to the magic moments that are put before us each day?


4 comments:

  1. I think, for the most part, I've finally let go of the past. I do still spend more time than I'd like on future problems/concerns--mainly financial & relationship issues. I pray when these things invade my thoughts, but unfortunately they do enter my thoughts!! I do thank God each and every day for all the blessings He has bestowed on me--small, medium and large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind is so busy remembering, thinking ahead and taking in the present all at once that it sometimes goes to mush. Even when I calm myself in meditation, it seems the past is there rattling around in my head, shading the glasses through which I see the present. And I'm not even aware of it! And the future is there too as possibilities I might imagine or have dreamed about. So even when I live a day at a time, or try to, I have the past and future right there bubbling on the back burner. If only I could be more aware of the mystery and precious nature of each moment and realize how magnificent a gift life is! If only I realized that in each moment I am standing on holy ground! Then I might catch a glimpse of the eternal nature of the NOW, the eternal in which past, present and future are all subsumed into a reality beyond time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for you thoughts Rusty and Steve!

    ReplyDelete