Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Reflections on the road to Recovery from alcoholism- The most important thing in my life


                 Reflections on the ...........................................Road to recovery


                                            The most important thing in my life


I hear it all the time. "Not taking a drink is the most important thing in my life".  Every time I hear it I pause to consider if this I what I really believe for myself.

 I'm conflicted......



On the one hand I know that if I start to drink again, I will end up in worse condition than I ever was and more importantly (to me now)- My family would suffer tremendously. In addition I would lose my connection with God and  not be able to do His will in regard to being a blessing to others-  to use my God given talents for his good purpose...to give back what I was freely given.

On the other hand- Its hard for me not to say the most important thing in my life is my relationship with God. Without his help I would be lost. I would have nothing of true value. No peace, no direction, no gratitude...no spiritual protection against the first drink.


If I just didn't drink, but lost my connection with God, I would be miserable- trying to find joy and happiness in other "gods". I could not become the person God meant me to become. I would be selfish and self-centered as a primary condition.

I have no clear answer to my question..although my spirit tells me - these two thoughts are totally connected..somehow...

I guess I would say it like this: The most important thing in my life is to stay closely connected with God who provides me the protection and direction to stay away from the first drink.

2 comments:

  1. I would absolutely, positively say that the most important thing in my life is my relationship with God. For the simple fact that God and only God can give me all of those other things that you mentioned. If I turn my will over to my family, I will almost certainly pick up again. If the only thing that I do is not "pick up" ever again, they the other areas in my life will certainly suffer. Every day I need to progress spiritually and the one and only way to do that is to strive to improve my relationship with God each and every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your insights Steve- really helped me. Rick

    ReplyDelete