Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Reflections on the road to Recovery from alcoholism- Connecting with others


Reflections
....on the Road to Recovery
     



                                       Connecting with others when I speak
           

The other day I did a lead on step 11 and afterward I didn't feel really great about it. I had read sections of the Big Book and shared a blog I had written about God's will..But something wasn't right. One thing I am sure of was a story I told of an experience I had with a spiritual event in my life...connected with the people. I could see it in their faces as I told the story.

I was confused about why I felt uncomfortable with my lead until yesterday-when someone out of the blue said, "AA asks that when we speak at a meeting we share our experience, strength and hope of recovery...not our knowledge".

That was it..I was trying to educate..not share my experience, strength and hope. Then just to confirm I attended a meeting a few days later when a lady gave a lead on step 11..filled with personal experience, struggles, joy and hope..everyone connected.

I got it now!

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely. If being educated on the "disease" of addiction were the answer, then all addicts/alcoholics would only have to go to a rehab and learn all of the terms from counselors, etc. It wasn't until I was introduced to the fellowship of AA and heard people of like mind speak of their experiences, trials and tribulations with addiction that I could see some hope for my situation.

    ReplyDelete