Monday, April 14, 2014

Reflections on the road to Recovery from alcoholism- Relationships

Reflections......
........on the road to Recovery
Relationships

One measure of the daily quality of our program of recovery ...and our spiritual condition...is the state of our relationships with others.

I don't know about anyone else, but keeping relationships intact and growing is extremely difficult for me, especially when my spiritual condition is weak.

Why?  A few examples:

I tend to quit when there is friction or strong negative emotional exchanges - I think "I don't need this anymore".

I get irritable and judgmental and people don't want to be around me.

I like to isolate.

It's difficult for me to engage socially in a comfortable manner.

I get bored easily.

I want perfection.

When I think about relationships, there are many types I include:

My wife, my children, the rest of my family, my wife's family, my neighbors, my friends in recovery, my church members, my sponsor, those I sponsor, and God.

Where do you stand with your relationships?

1 comment:

  1. The relationships in my life are the best they've been since my college years. I still encounter bumps in the road, but I'm better equipped to deal with them now because I'm making better choices and decisions. I must say, the most important and most rewarding relationship I have is with Jesus Christ. I'm growing each and every day in my faith and strive to live in Christ!!

    ReplyDelete