Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Friend Robbie



This is Rob. I visit him regularly - in the winter we watched movies and ate pizza. But now it's spring. So on this day in May we sat in the parking lot and had a concert - the best of Rock and Roll from the 70's and 80's. Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones, Santana... Rob was pumping his fist - getting to the beat.

Then when it was over and we were hungry. So off to Steak and Shake for a shake- oh, but then we saw the burgers,  and after a short hesitation -double cheeseburgers and fries for both of us!

Some time ago, I wrote an article about an experience Rob and I had at a retreat and the link below will get you to that story.

Knowing Rob is one of the greatest gifts in my life.


https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-8iiIu25F1-X1dzR0JnZ09hZnM/edit?usp=sharing

(Many of the stories I have written and published over the years like this one can be found in the Pages section of the blog- a tab named "Rick H. - Published AA Recovery Articles".)



2 comments:

  1. Rick- I know what you mean about about Rob being a gift. As our heads clear things change. The time I spent with my dad before he past was a gift. But these gifts are only realized when we are clean and sober :)..

    Ken S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts Ken- Yeah I know what you mean. Its hard to do sometimes since the people are usually hurting- but we just do it with the help of God and the program- Its just the right thing to do and we see the benefits at some point in the process. Sure is a far cry from little Ricky hiding out in some bar while my other family members took on the load. Very grateful for AA and to be with you as you did the journey with your dad by his side.

    Blessings,

    Rick

    ReplyDelete