Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Recovery form alcoholism- God and prayer







Over the years I have heard many things about prayer- and opinions on how God answers payers. Recently I heard a summary that really made sense to me. It went something like this:

When we ask God for something he always answers in one of 3 ways:


1.      Yes (and immediately)- I have had this happened many times. I have an immediate problem that I cannot control –can’t think or act my way out of it- I am fearful and anxious- and He has somehow taken care of these –immediately.

2.      Wait (not yet)- Yes,  He wants us to have what we are asking for however the timing is not right. It may be that we are not yet ready- we need to grow or learn new things first- or the conditions are not yet right to have what we want be a positive thing…at this point in time.  I have had many cases of this happening to me as well. I pray and pray thinking God doesn’t hear or is saying no, only to find that at some point in time- when the timing is right- I get what I asked for. Oh, by the way I also get a good lesson in patience (which I sorely need) - Things happen in God’s time not mine. 

3.      No (instead of what you want, I have something better for you). I also have experienced this many, many times. I’m convinced I know what is good for me, that what I want and how I want it is best for me.  God probably laughs and thinks something like, “Really you want to run the show again? Why don’t you let me give you what you need instead of what you want? Don’t forget I have the big picture and care more about you than you do”.

So my belief is that when we pray to God from the heart- he hears the prayer – and always answers.

Your thoughts?


3 comments:

  1. I would say that number two is most comforting to me. Through my church and working the steps I've come to realize that I don't have to know all the answers or reasons things happen. I used to be one of those " How could God let that happen" guys. God's plan is not always revealed to us when or where we want it to be, if ever. How presumptious(sp?) we can be!! I say it comes down to one word---FAITH!!!! The stronger mine becomes, the stronger I'll become and that's what I find myself striving for every day--growth in my faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith and trust in God- That to me is the goal! Thanks Steve

      Delete
  2. This is always a good topic. I also need the improvement in patience. But even after a few 24 hours, I'm still not comfortable asking for things that are too specific to come my way. I don't feel I have that much confidence yet in my thinking and sound judgement, maybe never will have it, but that's being negative. That said, I do have spiritual tools, and with active willingness and honesty and trust placed daily in my higher power, I KNOW that God is helping me with my thinking. God's help with my thinking and judgement is specifically what I can pray for, for one thing. I have to assess risks in wanting things; I can place the risk assessment in God's hands, try to use my improved thinking (thanks to AA and God), try to talk it over with healthy people or AA friends, and then go forward. There's always the phrases "be careful what you ask for" and the "grass is always greener" to guide me. Finally, I feel more confident and comfortable asking God to help others in their specific needs. That's praying for others; and I feel good about doing that. It gets me out of myself. Hopefully, that makes some sense. I believe in the keep-it-simple path, asking God to slow down my thinking. HE DOES ALWAYS ANSWER. Sometimes it's just in keeping me calm and able to be useful and effective in the moment.

    ReplyDelete