Sunday, September 22, 2013

Recovery from alcoholism- What do you think about this word?






Optimism

"hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something"

The other day a relative newcomer to recovery said something like this, "You know I'm really optimistic about the future". That statement really caught my attention. I smiled and said something like, "I don't hear that word spoken around here too often".  A few weeks later I was talking with someone about alcoholics tendencies toward negativity-and I recalled and reflected again about the attitude of optimism. 

Being optimistic, as the definition above describes,  does not come to me easily. I do get measures of it when I am working a full and solid program of recovery; and as a result spiritually fit and connected.

I am envious of people who seem to have this "glass half full nature" without much effort.

Thoughts?


3 comments:

  1. Half full is not the way I am wired. I have to work at it too. I agree that working the program helps a lot!

    My circumstances seem great. Not sure if they really are or if I am just choosing a positive point of view.

    I just know that I am so much more content thanks to AA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been one of those people who wakes up happy and is just sure the day is going to be great! Something good always had to happen first, then my day could become good. Little did I know that it would translate into me playing "victim" for most of my adult life in or out of my addiction. Since working the 12 steps though, I have found hope again and now have several reasons to be optimistic about today, tomorrow and the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your comment Steve.

    ReplyDelete