Sunday, May 11, 2014

Reflections on the road to Recovery from alcoholism- Identifying ourselves

Reflections.....
.......on the Road to Recovery

                                                  Identifying ourselves

In AA recovery meetings, people identify themselves in many different ways. Let's take the fictional "Mary" for example.

My name is Mary and I'm:

an alcoholic
a recovering alcoholic
a recovered alcoholic
a grateful, recovering alcoholic
powerless over alcohol
a recovering alcoholic and addict

I'm writing on the topic to get readers to consider why people use these different identifiers and what the differences imply.

Just as an fyi - I use "Hello I'm Rick and I'm an alcoholic.

Long ago, as I listened to others begin differently I  concluded any of them would apply to me, but decided I better keep mine really simple... so I don't get confused!

Thoughts?



2 comments:

  1. I'm Steve, a grateful recovering addict. I introduce myselfthis way because it includes the two most crucial aspects of my journey. I am and must continue to be grateful to God for the gift of sobriety He has given me. The recoverING part reminds me that me that I have to continue to do the work for the rest of my life. If either or both of these things change, I am certain that I'm DEAD....period.

    ReplyDelete