Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Reflections on the road to Recovery from alcoholism- abstinence or sobriety?

Reflections..........
...on the Road to Recovery

                                                 Abstinence or Sobriety?


I have been hearing this theme a lot lately at meetings:

 Is sobriety solely the absence of alcohol in our lives? 

Sayings like "just go to meetings" and "don't drink" seem to imply this. There is, however, another theme that basically says not taking that first drink and abstaining from alcohol is just a start to recovery.

Sobriety as "Soundness of Mind"

Sobriety, in many dictionaries and other sources, is defined as "soundness of mind." Is it possible or even reasonable that  alcoholics can just stop drinking - and do nothing else - and have their lives change from a pit of despair, misery and selfishness to one of happiness joy and freedom? 

If you are in recovery programs, you will hear  phrases such as "dry drunk," and  "stinkin thinkin."  I always find it funny, but containing a serious message, when I hear the statement, " If you take alcohol away from an alcoholic horse thief... you are left with a horse thief." 

I personally have witnessed several alcoholics who stop drinking, but do not work any kind of program of recovery. I have seen them cry, wreck their lives, even end up in mental institutions... all without drinking. I have heard relatives say, "We were much better off when fill in the name... was drinking - at least they got drunk and passed out - left us alone."

Transformation of the Old Me to the New Me

In my years of recovery, I have discovered this:  removing alcohol from my life did many positive things... the most significant was to uncover so that I could discover what my problem really is... me. It led me to understand what my character defects were (the exact nature of my wrongs) and then provided me with the tools to begin the transformation of the old me to a new me.


"Immersing" Ourselves in the Program

This transformation required immersing myself in the "full program of recovery." This included (and still includes) getting a sponsor, working the steps, engaging in the fellowship, finding and building a relationship with a Power greater than myself,  doing service work, carrying the message of hope of recovery to others... along with a few other things.

I think you would agree that the above involves a whole new way of living, much more than just not drinking... but the work also brings with it a fullness of recovery - for the benefit of ourselves and those around us.

I speak often to newcomers about this idea of "immersing ourselves in recovery." One day one of these new people asked me "what does immersion include - what do I need to do?" This question has inspired me to begin writing my second book on recovery, "AA Bootcamp."  I am very excited about being able to hand it to the next newcomer who asks me what they need to do to get better.


No comments:

Post a Comment