Sunday, May 18, 2014

Reflections on the Road to Recovery from Alcoholism- Contempt prior to investigation

Reflections......
...on the Road to Recovery

                                                 Contempt prior to investigation


"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

Have you ever had someone suggest that a belief you have may be wrong, and before they even finish, you cut them off because "you really don't want to hear it"? Or have a friend make a suggestion that you should try something new - and your reaction is, "Thanks, but no thanks. I'm just fine with the way things are going" (even if they're not going so well...).

I had a professional counselor once tell me that I may not believe this or like to hear it but, "I walk around with some beliefs that are absolutely wrong"!  That was a shocking consideration.



To be open minded to new ideas, to new ways of thinking about things, does not come naturally or easily to me. It's about change, change in myself. It's about listening closely to others' ideas, opinions and experiences. I don't like this stuff.

One time in a business meeting, my staff suggested that I may be on the wrong track and I should try something radically different. I was in recovery by then and had been thinking about this idea "contempt prior to investigation". In a brief moment of clarity I thought "Maybe they are right." So I implemented their idea and it worked amazingly well. The funny thing was I thought later, "Wow,  I can't believe they were right." Which translates to  - I can't believe I may have been wrong.

Another great example: When I was in treatment, the counselors asked everyone to do yoga as part of our rehabilitation. I was immediately angry and resentful. I said,  "You guys can make me do a lot of things,but I will not do yoga!" They finally relented and I did some push ups and sit ups to appease them.

Just recently (and years after this incident), I have read many articles about recovery from alcohol and other addictions and found several  positive things being said about yoga as part of the recovery process. Then  (as God usually does with me), people have been randomly talking about it, I see signs about it wherever I go, it's mentioned on the radio, etc.  I finally looked at my health club and, of course, they have free courses that fit my schedule.

So finally, 24 years later, I thought, "Maybe I should try this, maybe it is a good thing." (Removed the contempt - prior to the investigation)

And you probably already guessed the result: It's been really helpful for my anxiety and stress, I'm getting stronger, more balanced, sleeping better, my golf and racquetball games have improved, and I'm more peaceful.

This morning I wrote and asked the health club if they can offer a third class.

Sometimes, thing take me a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment