Thursday, December 26, 2013

Shopping Carts and Garbage.......Reflections on the Road to Recovery from alcoholism

    

                    Reflections.........................................on the Road to Recovery

                                                    
                                     (6) - - Shopping Carts and Garbage 


When I was drinking,  I didn't care much about others or respecting things that didn't belong to me. That bothers me to this day. When I see garbage in the streets and  shopping carts left in the middle of parking lots, it's a reminder of how I used to live.

So now when I go on walks in the park, I pick up a bottles, cans, etc., from the grass and place them in the garbage. When I get to a parking lot and see a rogue cart- left out there by someone - positioned to damage someones car- I put it away in its place.

These type of actions, as small as they are, add up. They move me in a the direction I want to go. They add a little bit of respect for the new me.

Do you find yourself doing small positive things like this in recovery?

What types of things?

How do you feel after you do them?

Final thought: Just think what my park would look like if each walker picked up a few pieces of garbage.

2 comments:

  1. I have noticed in my sobriety that the "little things" are so important in this world. If letting people in front of you in traffic, holding a door for someone, or simply being polite and saying hello or smiling at someone were more common, the world would be a better place. I do my best to give in these areas. Do these small acts of kindness makes people's days any better? Maybe, maybe not!! But, I know that by continuing to do them I'm not making their days worse, which was usually the case when I was using drugs. It makes me feel better about myself and the world in general!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve. Like you, I also believe small things make a big difference for us and others. Rick H.

    ReplyDelete