Thursday, January 15, 2015

Recovery from Alcoholism- Restart your day-anytime!

Reflections....
....on the Road to Recovery

                                                 Restart your day-anytime!

For many years of my life when I started the day off in a bad mood, you could be assured the rest of the day would be miserable for me and those around me. I didn't know there was an alternative.

As years passed in my recovery journey, as promised, more was revealed. One day at a meeting someone talked about the bad day they were having. Another  member at the table offered this simple thought: "You know, you can start your day over anytime you want - like right now!"

I immediately remembered being in a bowling league and the age old idea of: if your first 5 frames are bad - just draw a line on the score sheet and start the next 5 frames like a new game. Funny the ways in which God continues to guide and teach me.

Here's my suggestion: The next time your day sets you in a bad mood- take a short pause, ask your Higher Power to help- then start the rest of the day with a new beginning. At the end of the day reflect on how that worked.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard this a few times before at meetings and I love it, but honestly can't seem to employ this strategy. Most times I fight and fight which only makes things worse. The old "thinking patterns" still creep into my days more than I care to admit. So, thanks for the reminder...I will make a conscious effort to "start over" when things are going poorly. I think I'll say my morning prayers again and start fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works best for me when before starting over again- I take a time out and try to connect with God and just quiet down, try to let go of the "prior day's negativity or trouble. This is a tool that takes lots of practice and slow progress is what I've experienced. Thanks Steve

    ReplyDelete