Friday, June 14, 2013

A Higher Power that will solve your problem.......







Did you ever experience this scenario: you read some section out of the Big Book maybe 50 or 100 times, maybe more… Over and over, and we get whatever we get out of it.

Then one day we read the section for the umpteenth time and certain words, sentences or paragraphs come screaming off the pages with a whole new meaning. We have a new appreciation for what the words mean. We want to tell everyone about our discovery. We are kind of stunned that we never saw this wisdom before. These words and ideas add new building blocks to our growing program of recovery.
Well, as you may have guessed, I had just that experience. Happened many years ago. The discovery still affects me when I read or think about the section. 



From page 85 of the 3rd edition of the Big Book of  Alcoholics Anonymous:

“Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?
Well, that's exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power greater than yourself which will solve your problem. That means we have written a book which we believe to be spiritual as well as moral. And it means, of course, that we are going to talk about God. “


The bolded and underlined sentence above is what jumped off the pages and had me thinking about this for honestly years - even up until today.

Here what it says to me and why I find it so interesting and meaningful:
1.      The book's main purpose is to help us find a Higher Power
2.      This power will solve our problem. 

So my interpretation: The main purpose of the book is to get us to find and connect with a Higher Power that will help us with our problem- The problem- alcoholism, in its fullest context;  not just cessation from drinking, but the exact nature of the things that caused our drinking and made our lives miserable.
I don’t know if it’s only me, but I just marvel over the fact that in this major statement about the book, there is no direct mention of stopping drinking alcohol. 

I absolutely get the message. My problem is much greater than the symptom of drinking; and I need to find a Higher Power if I have any chance to getting help with the alcohol and ism …of course. only if I want to be happy, joyous and free.


Thoughts on this? Do you have any parts of the Big Book where you  have had the same experience?

2 comments:

  1. Happy, Joyous and Free--I would have settled for one of the three in my early sobriety. So, when I was free from using for 3 months, I was content. Then my sponsor used the word UNBLOCKED 200 times in one week!! When I was able to become unblocked I was on my way to receiving the other two gifts from God! And yes I've had a section of the Big Book do that to me. It's the section between pages xi and 164! More rewarding every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete