Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Child like joy lost and restored through recovery



                                


                                                                                                                                  
                                                                             

I was speaking at an open meeting the other night, telling my story of recovery from alcoholism. The majority of those in attendance were newcomers to recovery. At the end of my talk, I asked if anyone had any questions. A newcomer raised his hand and asked a question about a story I had told about my experiences at Wrigley field, Home of the Chicago Cubs.


The story I had told went like this: When I was a young boy I lived near Wrigley Field and I went to a lot of games –It was nothing less than magical for me to walk into that beautiful park and experience all the sights and sounds. To make it even, more exciting, my dad’s cousin was a professional player on the LA Dodgers, so I was able to meet him, and sit right above the visitors’ dugout. (I remember secretly rooting for the Cubs) It was the closest thing to a spiritual experience I think I could have had as a boy.

Then my years of drinking took control of me and while I continued to go to Wrigley field, things were different; very different. I got there drunk or close to it; and then focused on how many beers I could drink during the game.  Sadly, the magic of Wrigley field had left me. Like so many things alcohol stole it from me, slowly and fully.  So it was for fishing and all the other things I loved to do as a kid.

I remember my family, remembering how much I loved to go, asking me if I had a great day at the game- hoping that joy was still there for me. I’d respond something like, “yeah it was OK.  We had a good time at the bars afterward.”

After a few months into sobriety I asked my sponsor and home group if it was OK for me to return to Wrigley Field. They said N.O.  Not for a year; too risky. 

That’s how I ended my story of Wrigley Field  last Friday night. It was incomplete.

So back to the fellow at the meeting and his question as I remember it.  He asked, “Did you ever go back to Wrigley Field and did the “magic” return?” I could immediately sense that he had followed my story and had experienced something similar in his drinking days. I could feel his hopefulness for an answer that would give him hope.

My reply went something like this; “Hey thanks so much for asking, I forgot to tell (the most important) part of the story.  Yes, I did go back after a year. I remember it well. I was afraid to walk up that tunnel and look out at Wrigley field. I wasn’t sure why I was fearful- but now I know. I wasn’t sure what I would feel like. Drinking again? Remorseful over the past and my wasted days there? 

Well that not what happened. I walked up the tunnel, stood at the top of the stairs looked out and stood there for some time with all the feelings I had as a young boy come rushing back. I’m not ashamed to say tears came running down my face.  The joy had been given back to me through AA and God.  I sat through the game, looking at the people, the field, the players all around me-clear headed and focused. It was truly a spiritual experience that while happening over 20 years ago- I will never forget.

I suggested that those in recovery, when the time was right, to go back and try those things  they did as kids that brought them this childlike joy.

Thanks for asking the question!

8 comments:

  1. Hi,Rick! How are you doing currently? I'm glad you did receive some great help from AA, family, and friends. God definitely is number one in our lives. I didn't realize what you have been through the last 2-3 decades, as I haven't been in contact with you since 1975. So I'm sending you my friendship, love, and concern, as I was at one time in college close to you during the first 2 years. Please contact me through our college alumni website for finding old friends. I'd like to talk to you again. God is there for us always no matter what, but we must go to him in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...THATS MY STORY !!! Thats exactly what I'm doing now, going to the games , enjoying them like I did when I was a kid. I did the same thing, lived near there , worked picking up seats and smashing cups to get a free pass to the next game...Then I lost it , drinking became the priority and robbed me of the joy of the game , of life. But now , after doing what you have done, laid a good foundation , a tool box to assist me and a fellowship that enjoys the things I like to do , Life has taken on a new meaning.
    THANKS RICK for reminding me...what it was like, what happened and what its like now... And you know , I firmly believe that IT WILL HAPPEN in our lifetime and we will be able to enjoy all the Happiness it brings SOBER. Thank GOD for AA ...and THANK AA FOR GOD !!! GO CUBS !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we got that part down! Now any ideas of what we can do to help Carlos Marmol?

    Seriously, thanks for sharing -that helps to know there are people who understand.

    Rick H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story warmed my heart Rick for a couple of reasons. First, it brought to mind one of the greatest memories of my life . My father holding me over the small wall and Don Kessinger handing me an autographed baseball. My dad died 18 yrs ago on Fathers Day and I had really struggled with his loss for years. With the help of God, I now honor my dad's memory with smiles & good memories, so thanks. And I do have an idea how we can help Carlos Marmol---Teach him how to ICE SKATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I think you all might never have become alcoholic if you had not been Cub fans!

    I went to my first post sobriety Sox game last year. For the first three innings or so I was obsessed with and a little concerned about being around so much beer. I had a pretty good time during the second half of the game.

    Going again this year with the same folks (friends from Church) and I hope it will be much easier :) It would be a shame to lose something I enjoyed so much as a kid, before I had started drinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sox????? What city do they play in??

      Delete
  5. Now Now boys- we all are in the same boat-and I'm not talking about alcohol- I'm talking about stinky baseball teams.

    ReplyDelete