Sunday, June 9, 2013

It’s every person in AA that makes the whole thing work









Did you ever notice how many different type of people there are in AA? Men and women, young and old, professionals and tradespeople; Introverts, extroverts, people who are good speakers, good listeners, happy, serious, tough minded, kind, loud, soft spoken, and so on and so on…



One day I heard someone say, “It’s every person in AA that makes the whole thing work.” I’ve been thinking about that in terms of sponsorship and service work.  We probably all hear people say that they found a sponsor that was just right for them- Given all the diversity in AA it seems it would have to be that way - people from all walks of life-each a potential “perfect fit” to help someone else in the program.

Then what has struck me most recently is the very special and individual “gifts” people have in AA. If you look for these I’m sure you will see them- People who have gifts of ; speaking or giving leads, of bringing joy to the meetings by smiling and laughing, who have detailed knowledge of the Big Book, with messages of  spirituality, who can sit with a newcomer one-on-one and give them hope, who love to make coffee and set-up meetings, who visit those in prisons, who spend time in the detox wards with the patients , who write articles for AA publications, who are just available to share their words of wisdom for those who have been around for a while but are hurting, who have the leadership skills to organize and manage picnics, retreats, workshops, etc., who have the skills to serve on specific AA committee’s and the commitment to do so… and many, many more.

Recognizing these gifts people have helps me get less judgmental and  more understanding of the fact that there are many people in AA that are very different than me…and that’s a really, really good thing. I can bring a few of my gifts, other bring theirs, and when they are all served up together it makes  a beautiful program  we are all part of.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. This topic makes me smile a little bit. My initial forays in AA had me convinced that it wasn't for me because of this guy or that guy--too old, too young, too smart, not smart enough. Oddly enough, it's these same differences that bring me so much comfort in the AA rooms today. During one meeting I looked around and thought between everyone in this room we make at least one completely healthy person. From that point on, I relish the fact that everyone has a unique perspective on the same problem--How lucky I am to have this many different approaches to my solution!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dead on Rick. We all need each other. I have no interest in participating in some of the vital AA activities that others love.

    Then again, I am passionate and skilled in certain areas that few others want to touch.

    Never thought about this before, but if we were all the same, I am not sure I would enjoy AA meetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know how to get my name on the above, but it is Jeffery G.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your insights Jeffery. It wouldnt be pleasant if they were filled with me's only either!

    ReplyDelete