Sunday, June 16, 2013

Making amends to Guthrie (a horse)



Rick, Dolores and  "Guthrie"



Yes,  I know it sounds funny and this actually is a humorous rendition of an amend I could and should have made to Guthrie the horse.

My sister Dolores always has loved horses- when we were small kids playing around the house, I remember she would always have toy horses. Now she is a mother of 3,a grandmother of 2, a full time nurse and a very good sister.

And she still loves horses....


So she invited my wife and me to meet her horse, Guthrie, and then go have lunch with her and her husband. Guthrie is a beautiful animal - big, athletic-looking and a little on edge. I asked Dolores what kind of horse he was and she said, "Half thoroughbred and half quarter horse". "Where did you get him from?" I asked.  "He was a race horse down south," she responded.

I looked at Guthrie right in the eyes and conveyed this thought: "I used to think and yell very nasty things at your cousins at Arlington Racetrack when you guys lost all my money. I was certain I had picked the right horse and your friends just decided to make it a miserable day for me."

I even remember the day I bet all my money of on a grey horse who came out of the gate, went about 100 yards, stopped dead in his tracks, turned around and went back to the starting gate. This was after I told all my good drinking friends that this horse was the best bet of the day!

(I continued my discussion with Guthrie): "But now I don't bet on your friends anymore - I use my money for better purposes- and I'm not angry with them any more, or you either Guthrie. Sorry I said all those nasty things about you guys."

We went on to lunch and had a great time talking about life and family things- a really enjoyable, beautiful  sober day.

(Note: To view all posts that have been made to date- at the bottom of the pages you can see there is a link - labeled- Older Posts- if you click that you will see all posts and comments to date. )

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I don't know Rick. I'm pretty sure the 9th step says made DIRECT amends---I think you should look up all the horses that you cussed out and tell them personally. I mean, how free do you want to be my friend!!LOL. Although, I think your method might help me with a few of my amends. I'm going to tell the girl at Dunkin Donuts tomorrow how sorry I am for the way I treated my ex-wife. What do you think??

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK OK I get it- but some of them are hard to find. Ill write letters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Good start to the week!

      Delete
  3. HaHaHa---Glad I could help Rick. Try the glue factories, maybe you'll have some luck. (remember I heard you're odds based method for choosing horses-lol) However,the grey horse, knowing his penchant for turning around is definitely at a carnival doing pony rides!! Thanks Rick H. and Jeffrey G., I had a ridiculously long day and I needed a reason to smile--thanks for accommodating.

    ReplyDelete